Monday, November 21, 2011

How often should I shampoo my son's hair to get rid of cradle cap?

I know most people say to only shampoo once a week, but his scalp gets VERY flaky and the flakes get all over him and whoever is holding him.How often should I shampoo my son's hair to get rid of cradle cap?
Shampooing frequently won't help, but I'm not sure where you got the once a week rule. Try gently brushing his hair when dry to loosen those flakes. Our pediatrician said it was fine to use over-the-counter cortisone cream for the crusty spots on his face.





Check out this link for more info.How often should I shampoo my son's hair to get rid of cradle cap?
Take light Olive Oil (Light- because regular smells wayyyy too strong), rub it in his hair twice a day for a few days (wash it out after about 10 mins). Should work somewhat well. Old Italian trick...makes their skin super soft if you use it like baby lotion haha
my dd had some flakes starting up, ped said to soak her head in baby oil, let it soak in for a while, brush gently with a soft toothbrush, wash hair and gently brush again to remove remaining flakes, rinse, dry, comb....i put one of those hats from the hosp on her head while it was oily (they are good for something!)


so it wasn't everywhere....worked like a charm, no probs since; when i wash her hair now, i still use the soft toothbrush on the shampoo, but that's just paranoia bc i haven't seen flakes since i did it the first time, although it did take a bit of work to get alll that oil out..gl
rub baby oil on his head and with a baby comb gently comb out the excess.





It is more annoying to you than him





this wil take some time to go away... it will become less and less over time.....shampoo and condition baby's head -
Well..... they say less is better for cradle cap. But..... I find a good brushing and then a good scrubbing on his head really helps clear it up. I would say you could do it more then once a week.





A recommendation from my doctor was to use olive oil. This is definitely a two person job..... because baby gets very slippery..... and it takes a while and a couple of shampoos to get it out. I only use the olive oil trick when my sons cradle cap has gotten really out of control.





Apply the olive oil 10- 30 minutes before the bath. Then give him a really good brushing...... and then you need to give him a major bath. I usually have to shampoo 2-3 times after wards to get his hair nice and clean. But seriously..... its works.





You can also use dandruff shampoo..... such as head and shoulders...... this works well. I would also reccomend having someone help you with this bath too..... just to ensure you don't get any into the eyes. my doctor says its totally safe to use on baby.





Do you have a fine tooth comb...... these work way better then the brush...... to get the flakes out. I received a fine tooth baby comb in a toiletry baby kit...... and its been my best cradle cap friend. Another thing I do to help prevent it from coming back...... is I keep a comb or brush on his diaper changer. Every time I change a diaper...... i give his scalp a brushing. This is a good way to remember to do it frequently and also a handy time to do it.





I have also seen a cradle cap care kit at the store. I saw one at k-mart..... i did not purchase it..... but it looked like it had some handy tools and shampoo in there. That may be worth looking into.





Best of luck to you.
Rub a lil baby oil on his head and the flakes will slide out while your comb his hair
First Rub some baby oil all over his scalp and wait 15mins so it softens the cradle cap and is easier to get rid of, then after the 15mins passed take a baby comb and comb it backwards so it lifts up from his scalp. Do that to his entire head and then give him a bath and wash his hair. Do that 2-3 times a week, babies should only be bathe 3 times a week.



it will go away by it's self



Cradle cap can usually be helped by shampooing the baby's hair with a mild type of baby shampoo (perhaps more frequently than usual) and brushing with a very soft bristle brush to loosen the scales. You can also use a fine-toothed comb to remove the scales. What I found to work the best is the Aveeno baby wash and shampoo. It worked wonders for my son's cradle cap. I wouldn't bathe your baby everyday though, cause that will dry his skin out. Bathe your baby once every two days.





A mild soap should be used to wash any other body areas that are affected besides the hair and scalp. If the cradle cap symptoms also occur on the face and/or in the diaper area make sure a pediatrician is consulted. It is important to contact your pediatrician before using a medicated shampoo or cortisone creams.





In some cases, the doctor may prescribe an ointment containing hydrocortisone to reduce inflammation for this condition, and may also recommend use of a stronger antiseborrhic shampoo. If the condition worsens or lasts longer than three weeks, be sure to contact your baby's doctor.



I have been washing my daughter's hair every two days with her bath...But to get rid of her cradle cap when she was a baby (15months now), I rubbed baby oil on her head really good, then i used a soft bristled baby brush and massaged it on her head really good, then I gave her a bath to wash it out. I may have had to do that 2 times in order for it to go away completely.
I put lanolin oil in my daughters hair and let it sit for about an hour and it never came back. Only 1 use and it was completely gone. She is 6 months now. At the time she might of been about 2 months old but so far so good it hasnt returned. i used the oil that you put onyour nipples when you are breastfeeding. It is non toxic and vey light and I actually worked for her craddle cap after one use.
Are you breastfeeding? If so, go on a dairy elimination diet and see if that helps.


You can also try treating it with a fungal cream (like for athlete's foot). Some people put olive oil on, let it sit/soften, then comb out.


My hairdresser just told me not to use baby-ish shampoos as the pH balance can create cradle cap. You can use baking soda as a shampoo, or really carefully, adult shampoo. Wash only as often as truely needed. If he's not eating with his hands, or rolling around in the dirt, once a week would be enough.
I give my 6 week old a bath every other day since he doesn't get that dirty, the day's he doesnt get a bath i wipe his face hands and feet and butt area with a warm washcloth





He had cradle cap to and it is now away with sue of baby oil or baby gel and lotion
Buy some head and shoulders shampoo. Put a little on the baby's head and brush it in with a soft brush. Finish up with the rest of the bath then rinse it off. It worked wonders for our daughter. Be careful though because if it gets into their eyes it burns pretty bad. Good luck
A good way to do that is to put some baby oil on his head for a while before bath time and use a comb in the opposite direction the hair grows, to gently get rid of some of the flaking. Our nanny taught us that and it really worked. My son still has cradle cap at 8 months, but not nearly as bad as when he was newborn.
  • mask making
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment