Monday, July 26, 2010

Can i wash my dog with people shampoo?

I need to wash my dog right away and i dont have the time or money to get dog shampoo.Can i wash my dog with people shampoo?
if you must wash your dog do not use people shampoo as they have too many perfumes and scents in them and can cause dry irritated skin and other skin problems,if it really needs a bath and you cannot afford shampoo or wipes for it use a little gentle dish washing liquid, like dawn this will not irritate the skin and is safe even for puppies and kittens.Can i wash my dog with people shampoo?
I wouldnt reccommend it..





Dogs and humans have different PH levels in their skin. Human shampoo is PH balanced for human's skin. If you use it on your dog, you could cause irritations or a reaction.





I've seen dogs washed with people shampoo with no reactions, and I know of a lady who washed her cocker with people shampoo.. the dog had such bad skin burns that it needed put to sleep.





A better alternative would be to rinse your dog with baking soda water, and brush the coat to remove dirt and debris.





You can also use Dawn dish soap.. the Original ';green'; kind. This is used on wild life to clean up oil spills, so it is gentle to use on animal skin. It strips the coat and skin of natural oils too.. so I wouldnt use it often, otherwise it will cause dry skin.
HI





Yes you can, BUT make sure you dilute it 4 to 1, that 4 parts water to 1 part shampoo, prior to applying on the dog. NOW THAT SAID: it generally is not a good idea to use human shampoo on a dog as the PH balance is different. This will/can cause their hide to dry out and cause them to itch. So please don't use it every time, just in a pinch





Hope this helps
I wouldnt. I have been told that you can use johnson%26amp;johnsons baby shampoo on some animals, but they do sell shampoo for dogs. also, people shampoo wont get rid of ticks and fleas and such while dog shampoo is specifically made to do just that. You can get dog shampoo in any pet store and it won't cost too much.
I used to alway wash my dog with people shampo but just a basic store brand shampo nothing fancy. Never seemed to harm her and made her smell beach breeze fresh! I ended up buying dog shampo though because I hear some of the chemicals can be bad for dogs. Im sure you wil be fine though washing your dog with it a couple times.
Yes, but use a very mild one. The perfumes in people shampoo can make a dog have a reaction (hives etc...) Also - do not use dandruff shampoo! Maybe baby shampoo would be best as they usually squirm like a baby and if it gets in their eyes it won't irritate.
yes, i use baby shampoo on my dog and he is fine, i like the baby shampoo cause it is sensitive. you can also use dawn dishwashing soap
You could definitley use people shampoo. The only thing is it may dry out your dogs skin and you will have one itching dog. Baby shampoo is good too though its more gentle on the skin and it won't hurt the dogs eyes either. Hope this helped. Good luck
It doesn't have the same pH value, but it won't kill them one time around, but in the long run use a dog shampoo with low pH.





-Alika613





PS: I just read somebody else answer who mentioned pH, LOL, I didn't copy.
I use Head and Shoulders on my dogs every time they get a bath. My mom's good friend owns a pet boutique and that's what she uses on the dogs that come in. I've never had a problem with my dogs, I just make sure to rinse them really well to get all the soap off.
I do it all the time and my dog is fine, It might be better if you use a baby shampoo if you can get some or one that doesn't have a strong smell. But other than that just keep it away from his eyes and have fun!.
I would only if you really had to...dog hair and skin is different from human hair and skin, and human shampoo can dry out a dog's skin and coat. I'd say if you have to, go for it, but don't make a habit of it :)
The biggest problem is if you get it in their eyes. Washing the back, underneath and ends of ears you should be fine using regular shampoo, it works fine with our dog.
Yup you can just make sure that it doesn't get into your dogs eyes and if it does just try to wash it out. Thats what I did for my dog cause she stunk so bad from the lake water.
you can, i do. i use like baby shampoo so if it gets in their eyes it doesnt sting them. dog shampoo would be best, but your shampoo can be a good substitute.
NO! Do not wash your dog with people shampoo. It is not made for dogs, and it can dry out their skin. If you don't have the money, then just bathe him with water.
Yes you can.


I worked at an animal hospital where they did grooming and she always used people shampoo. As long as it's not medicated shampoo, you will be fine.
no, human shampoo has a different ph balance then dog shampoo...





please get him/her a shampoo that wont cause damage to his/her skin





although i do use baby shampoo on them so i guess i am a hypocrite...lol
Yes! I use baby shampoo or suave sensative skin. As long as its sensitive and the first time you bathe your dog it doesnt get a reaction, it should be fine.
sometimes the Vet will prescribe a ';people'; shampoo for certain dogs....like Selsun Blue...for certain skin issues...
I have done it if you have to I would use baby shampoo or a very very mild shampoo and make sure you rinse it out really well.
you can but it would be healthier for ur dog if u used dog shampoo....





http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApXk4Rieex9GS.Td2EeFrE7sy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080717080055AAEH1gM
You can..but sometimes it causes rashes..I think 1 time would be OK but just don't do it all the time
I guess once is OK but it irritates their skin and gives them dandruff.
Yes, just dilute it and rinse VERY well. When you think you're done, rinse some more.
Only baby shampoo, If you used adult shampoo there will


be some left on his/her fur and it will lick it off.


The chemicals in the shampoo can make the dog


quite sick
If need be that will be ok. But I would only use Johnsons and Johnsons baby shampoo
Yeah, I do it all the time...If they have sensitive skin, it may be an issue though...but give it a shot
Yessssss you can!
if at any time i run out of dog shampoo then i will use baby shampoo.all my dogs have always been fine with this.suds away
no! people shampoo can dry out your dogs skin and create a rash! please use dog shampoo from petsmart

No comments:

Post a Comment